Block paving is a growth area in the paving industry for the last three decades, and enough potential remains in it. World of Stones USA is introducing you to natural stone block paving and encourages you to think of it compared to other block paving options. Let’s explore it in the current post.
Exterior paving is a prime focused area in construction and city architect fields. Streets to highways mostly found with asphalt or RCC (Reinforced Cement-Concrete) materials. However, personal driveways still adorned with brick paving.
Bricks are nothing but smaller blocks compared to large slabs. Therefore, brick paving becomes block paving in colloquial language across the globe.
What Is Block Paving?
Block paving is a common practice to construct exterior pavement in the construction industry using individual blocks made of different materials like clay, concrete, and natural stones.
Why Block Paving?
- Scientifically, individual blocks offer a flexible architect to absorb live & dead loads from standstill/moving people and vehicles.
- Block pavers are easy to install and maintain, as replacement restricts up to some damaged blocks only.
- Brick and natural stone block pavers have been for centuries, so it has classic charm and aesthetic value.
- The availability of clay, stones, and cement-concrete like block building materials is almost universal and affordable.
- Blocks offer ample design options and freedom to match with your construction theme or surrounding.
Natural Stone Pavers Collection
Types of Block Paving
There are primarily three types of block paving found around the world.
Clay Brick Block Paving
Kiln-fired clay bricks are the most ancient block paving material found around the world. House brick manufacturers can design clay pavers with special treatments and in sizes. The size variation found in the following range:
- 60x60mm – Cobbles
- 150x150mm – Setts
- 300x300mm – Squares
However, the most usual size is 100x200x60mm in the USA and elsewhere with slight fluctuations.
Clay blocks develop natural colors during the kiln process that lasts long and offers a wide range of hues such as brown, red, buff, gray, blue, and a mix of other tints. Besides these, clay block pavers exhibit natural textures and other properties that the clay bricks carry.
Concrete Block Paving
Molded cement-concrete blocks are found for a few centuries after CBP (concrete block pavers) entered into mainstream use. Concrete-cement molding proffers infinitive opportunities to create color, shape, size, and texture variation. It lets you mimic any block paving type, including clay and stone block pavers.
However, a typical concrete block paver has a 200mm length, 100mm width, and a range of 50mm to 100mm depth. Chamfered edges and spacer lugs are typically found in most standard brands.
We can add colors and different hues throughout the mass of concrete block pavers or simply give treatments to faces open to the exterior to save color-related costs.
Natural Stone Block Paving
Natural stone block paving is trendy now thanks to improving demand and supply situations. The global distribution network has eased the availability and cut the cost. Enhanced technologies from quarrying to finishing have made natural stone pavers handy for anyone compared to other materials.
- Natural stone block pavers are available in standard and customized sizes as well.
- Mostly, 200mm x 100mm x 50mm dimension stone blocks with 1mm variation are used to available in the market.
- Tumbled, Honed, and similar non-skid surface treatments are found on stone block pavers.
- Dimensional accuracy and smooth or acute edges allow neat and tight-fitting in any pattern to give seamless surface experience.
Siliceous types of stones like granites and sandstones are usual in the industry. You can avail of all richness of natural stones in your block paving project, including colors, textures, patterns, veins, grains, and so on, natural beauty under the foot.
Why is stone block paving a superior choice?
Common Block Paving Patterns
You can make your backyard a masterpiece for aesthetics and design by implementing different laying patterns, such as:
- Random “I”
- Runner Bond
- Basket Weave
- Modular Paver Patterns from a single piece to four pieces
Out of these, basket weave and herringbone patterns are considering the best patterns for driveways and paths due to intense interlocking.
Similarly, you must learn about different Block Paving Border Patterns to decorate your drive in unique and innovative ways.
How to Lay Stone Block Pavers?
However, the stone block paving installation process is akin to standard stone paver installations for patios and paths.
- Create a sub-base nearly 150mm thick with available and suitable paver base material.
- You can use the Screeded coarse Class-M sands as base/on the top of the sub-base in standard thickness or according to the depth of your stone block pavers.
As per industry norms, an edge course must have contrasting colors to define it apart from the rests of block paving areas.
How to Maintain Stone Block Pavers?
Thanks to the great inherent properties of natural stones, the stone block paving areas are easy to clean, maintain, and repair.
- The plain water cleaning in a week can prove enough to keep stone block paving areas neat and clean.
- You can use standard washing detergents to remove staining by leaf-falls and other ways.
- Various sealants and chemical coating solutions can enhance the life and appearance of block pavers.
- In some areas of the world, weed growth between the gaps of block pavers is a headache, and you can deal it effectively by taking some required measures mentioned in our blog “5 Ways to Prevent Weed Growth Between Paving Stones” and other treatments prescribed by your contractors.
- There are some dos & don’ts for cleaning, so keep things in mind while cleaning the stone block pavers.
Get the best stone block pavers in your vicinity
World of Stones USA has an extensive network of distributors across the nation. It can ease your reach to our extensive stone block paver inventory and enable us to serve you without additional hurdles & expenses.
We intend to serve the custom orders by meeting their bespoke requirements accurately. So, we hope to have some details prior to the acceptance of your final order. Your online or in-person meeting can help us in this regard. Moreover, our stone consultants can guide you perfectly to make your block paving project successful.